South East Biker Magazine

Facebook Twitter YouTube Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) South East Biker Magazine
« Help us catch a potential road killer | Main | Skidmarx get fly with MT-10 »

MAG, ULEZ and exemption of older motorcycles

Update on: Honda, BMW, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Harley Davidson, KTM, 
Lexmoto, Aprilia, Husqvarna, Moto Guzzi, Piaggio, Royal Enfield, 
Triumph, Norton, Gilera, Vespa.

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) has been working to exempt as many 
motorcycles as possible from the high Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ) 
charges being introduced in London in April 2019. In a series of 
releases, MAG is outlining the progress made with manufacturers in 
helping you to avoid charges, by proving your motorcycle is compliant 
with the emissions levels that have been set.

Following a productive meeting with the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, 
regarding motorcycles in the Capital, MAG is engaged in seeking 
information from manufacturers which will help you secure an exemption 
for your motorcycle.  MAG’s Director of Communications & Public Affairs, 
Lembit Öpik, explains: ‘we have agreed with the Mayor that those 
motorcycles which achieve the emissions standards set for the ULEZ 
charge should be exempt. It’s common sense and eminently fair to do this.

‘There are two ways to achieve that exemption: a Certificate of 
Conformity, showing that your machine produces less NOx than the upper 
permissible limit; or a specific test of your machine providing evidence 
that this is the case. We’re working with manufacturers to see what 
needs to be done to get a Certificate of Conformity (COC) and we’ll 
share that information as we get it.

MAG is also working to seek a simple, long-term solution that avoids any 
punitive toxic tax for motorbikes and scooters. The current proposal, 
which MAG is opposing, would add £12.50 to a daily commute for many, 
increasing the cost of the journey by over 1,000%.

We’ll keep you posted on manufacturers as we get more information from them.

Contact MAG at 01926 844 064 or